Producing a tracking solution for business models with reusable packaging in the food (e.g., cups/plates) and cosmetics (e.g., shampoo bottle/soap dispenser) industries
Greiner Innoventures GmbH (100% subsidiary of Greiner AG) is a corporate business angel and company builder with focus on circularity solutions / new materials.
Packaging in a reuse application is difficult to track and trace throughout the lifecycle of a container (e.g., cup/plate/bottle). However, tracking usage is crucial to analyzing and managing packaging inventory:
- how many times a container has been used
- when it must be discarded from the cycle (end of life)
- how many containers are currently in the system
- when new containers are needed (procurement)
- where is the product in the reuse cycle (at the restaurant, at cleaning, at the user, etc.)
Solutions for packaging in a closed loop reuse system must be cost effective (scalable) and resilient (hardware and software – e.g., QR code and tracking platform).
We are looking for a solution that ideally:
- Is resistant to cleaning and disinfection applications (e.g., industrial washing facilities).
- Is convenient for customer experience at the “front end” = linking user and packaging (sign-up/hand-off).
- Is easy to handle at the “back end”, as an agnostic solution for different applications (e.g., cups/bottles/plates) and for different technologies (e.g., image recognition).