Developing a solution for the collection of textiles suppliers’ information and the assessment of the sustainability-related supplier risk
Gruppo Mastrotto Spa is one of the main European tanneries. It produces finished leathers for the footwear, leather goods, furniture and automotive industries.
The largest fashion brands and other brands associated with the textile sector, including car manufacturers, as well as other stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations and regulators, are increasingly demanding that supplier networks associated with the leather supply
chain provide guarantees related to environmental sustainability (e.g., water consumption, waste management, climate change impact) and social sustainability (e.g., respect for workers’ rights, occupational safety and health, respect for human rights, recyclability of material flows, and traceability of raw materials).
We are looking for a solution that:
- Can collect information from suppliers and assess the sustainability risk of each supplier along the three dimensions – economic, environmental, and social.
- Includes dimensions such as sector to which the supplier belongs, company size of the supplier, geographical extent of the supplier’s activity, organizational culture of specific groups of suppliers.
- Pays attention to the supplier’s ability to implement circular economy strategies.
- Is based on a qualitative and quantitative assessment with data collected from potential suppliers as well as from existing databases, also considering external factors such as the political situation of the geographical area, transport conditions, etc.
We envision at least two use cases:
1) Potential supplier: the solution should allow to make a preliminary assessment of environmental and social risks based on indicators such as the geographical location, the sector to which they belong, or existing assessments in databases.
2) Qualified supplier: the solution should allow to assess the environmental, social, circular economy and traceability performance.